Followers

Tuesday 12 May 2020

The Room


The Room


By Peter Woodgate

One hand on the doorknob
The latch I then slide
As bravely I open
And survey the inside.

A fire in the grate
A soft rug on the floor
A guard in the hearth
But what is this for?

My gaze wanders aimlessly
Searching around
My heart remains chilled
For this room lacks the sound.

Of the voice, that once, could right all wrongs
Soothing my troubled brow
And a smile that would say everything is ok
That was then, but alas, not now.

She has gone, my light, my saviour
I stand alone in this room we would share
I try to remember the good times
a vision of her standing there.

But despite the flame, it isn’t the same
This room where I stand and stare,
A stark realization of what now remains
just some boots and a hat on the chair.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

4 comments:

  1. Nicely written Peter, is it Pros?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not pros, irregular rhyme. My response on being shown a painting and being asked for my thoughts!!
      Because poetry has evolved and rhyming is considered "old fashioned" it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference however,it should be recognised by it's structure.

      Delete
  2. Clever rhymescheme Peter.

    ReplyDelete