Followers

Wednesday 6 May 2020

The Fox Who Came To Dinner


The Fox Who Came To Dinner


By Peter Woodgate

In the corner of our garden there’s a gate,
From there, a pathway leads, to those who wait.
It seems that only beauty, that’s perceived,
Is allowed within the area believed
To be within each legal boundary
That’s shown upon official deeds, you see.
Divided up without a care for those,
Whose ownership was recognised by nose
And the countryside divided just by scents,
Aesthetically, is now spoilt by each fence.
Not that Mr Fox would miss his calling,
Leaping six-foot fences, without falling.
I fed him, but sometimes felt forlorn,
The rascal urinated on my lawn,
Brown marks unfortunately show,
“What the Hell,” I thought, “it will soon grow.”
There came a day though when he did get caught,
A visit when I knew he didn’t aught,
A daylight entrance, getting rather bold,
Jo saw him and did more than scold.
I heard a loud and very piercing scream,
Mr Fox, he quickly left the scene.
Jo knew I had been feeding him,
A heinous crime and unforgivable sin.
I must confess I do still feed the fox,
Just outside the gate and in a box,
Without a lid, of course, that would be bad
And drive the fox insane, that would be sad.
So, the Vulpes vulpes is still fed
Usually when I’m tucked up in my bed.
I look each morning to check it’s gone,
Of course it is, left-overs none.
Just lately though, I’m leaving more
The reason being,  I am quite sure,
Two boxes now, without the lids
Because he brings his mate, and kids.
PS (cubs didn’t rhyme)
Copyright Peter Woodgate

1 comment:

  1. A poem that sings to me. I feed foxes too. Pity the missus doesn't like him (or her). Loved the line - 'whose ownership was recognised by nose.'

    ReplyDelete