Followers

Sunday 3 May 2020

RIVER VIEW


RIVER VIEW

By Peter Woodgate

On the little wooden bridge that spans the river
I used to sit with bread, and net, and jar.
The fish I caught were small, just sticklebacks
but in my world I really didn’t care.

Of course, I had some disappointments,
days when I was out of luck,
I then would turn my thoughts, to other things
and use the bread to feed a coot or duck.

The river, then, was peaceful, as it flowed
through banks of willow herb and celandine,
and as I sat there in those halcyon days
the sun shone endlessly upon the scene.

I visit still that little bridge that stands
defiantly against “old times” decay,
my eyes will keenly seek, those visions of the past
But focus only on scenes of dismay.

For looking back at that, which I perceived,
as pleasing, despite my youthful folly,
it was much better then than what is now on view,
a bicycle wheel and supermarket trolley.

Copyright Peter Woodgate


3 comments:

  1. Very nice poem with a good rhythm. Sad though. Folk say we view the past through rose coloured glasses, and maybe we do. But evidence of man's neglect is clearly visible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a Historian amongst your many talents. Your observations of then and now, perfectly penned in perfect pro's. An excellent piece SPARTACUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely crafted Peter. I too remember those times.

    ReplyDelete