Followers

Monday 4 May 2020

BRAINWASHED


BRAINWASHED 

By Peter Wodgate

They arrive with smiles and white coats
gliding down corridors of despair.

Conceitedly, they say,
“And how are we today?”
They mean me, and don’t see,
the shadows that leap from wall to wall
sometimes short, sometimes  tall
but always there ready to descend.

I tried to warn them,
those in white coats
and the world,
for mankind has been invaded,
bombarded and persuaded
by commercial craft.
Our brains will shrink,
no time to think,
just led like lambs to slaughter.

No:
I tried but failed,
their patronising ignorance prevailed.
I retreat to the corner of my room
and await my fate.

Those idiots insist it is all in my head,
strap me to the bed
and shock my system into submission.

I awake and the shadows have gone;

I can stand tall, no conscience at all,
the treatment, a success,
I will join the masses
indoctrinated into a world without scruples.

My papers are filed in a manner that’s formal
and stamped on the front are the words;
NOW NORMAL.

Copyright  Peter Wodgate



2 comments:

  1. Powerful, cynical and above all memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was almost 90% certain it was by you Peter but, imagine my embarrassment if I attributed it to you and Janet said oi! That was mine... All's well that ends well eh? Nice poetic sentiments.

    ReplyDelete