Followers

Tuesday 28 April 2020

SUNGLASSES


SUNGLASSES 

By Peter Woodgate

I’d hoped the sun would hide it’s face today
and I could gaze into your naked eyes,
plunge into the blue-green depths revealed
and have me think that I had won a prize.

Each tiny line divulging secrets of your life,
each eyelash fluttered, setting you apart,
each glancing frown a sign of former strife,
each soft twinkle, tearing at my heart.

I could try and guess your inner thoughts,
each pupil playing games of hide and seek,
without the shelter of those stylish shades
perched on your lovely face above each cheek.

I would wonder at your beauty,
of your kindness and your wit,
I would be transfixed, held fast,
and would never mind a bit.

I may know a thousand things,
the uncertainty and danger,
but the sun it shines, the shades are worn
and you pass by, a stranger.

Copyright Peter Woodgate


4 comments:

  1. Nice switch peter, your syllable count is variable It isn't blank verse but it's effective, very pleasant to read. Nice one son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked it too Peter. Sunglasses are very intriguing - maybe its because the human race always like to solve mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true,as they say,"The eyes are the gateway to the soul"
    It also helps when trying to perform telepathy tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed your poem, beautifully written.
    Shelley.

    ReplyDelete