Followers

Sunday 12 April 2020

Flash Fiction & Poem


All Change

by Rosemary Clarke

INT: A DETACHED HOUSE IN RAYLEIGH
MONTY an elderly man in slippers shuffles to the phone.
"Grandad it's lovely of you and Nan to agree to look after the kids but you really don't need the blackout curtains; they won't stop anything."
"Good to be prepared that's what we learnt in the war."
"Yes, but this isn't that kind of war, it's a disease."
"Well, it just so happens that I've still got ten bottles of Ipecacuanha wine, glycerine and syrup of squills.  Got us through everything that did; the nations cure-all."
"Hippy what? No, I mean they're fine they just needed somewhere to go while I go to work."
"A whole crate of it; clears whatever's wrong always does."
"No, now the reason I'm calling is because I've had some worrying news.  Lucy is under the impression that Floppy is to be used for food."
"Well that's why we bred them before; a good rabbit stew.  I'm growing veg too, they can help with that."
"Yes, but you don't have to eat pets.  There's Sainsbury's near you and Aldi; they do still deliver don't they?"
"I suppose."
"Well just leave Floppy in his hutch but the veg is a great idea."
"And the Ipecacuanha will keep us all good."
"Er...about that, they're not ill they're fine."
"Then why aren't they at school?"
"The schools are closed Grandad, haven't you heard?"
"Don't believe all that, misinformation we had it then but we got through it and we'll get through now."
"Look Grandad can I speak to Nan?"
"Sally he wants you, yes you."
SALLY in a floral tent comes to the phone.
"Hello William don't worry Monty just feels useful now but I'll keep an eye on things and - don't tell him - those bottles were washed out ages ago; they've had barley wine in them for years."
"Thanks, Nan, look after yourselves."
"Bill, we're all clapping for you and I've got the ladies from my W.I. online to machine some of those scrubs."

© Copyright Rosemary Clarke




Keep Going

by Rosemary Clarke

Behind all the masks there is kindness

Behind all the gloves there is care
Whatever the future throws to us
That knowledge will always be there
That's why we must stay in our homesteads
And cope and not get depressed
Because of our own secret weapon
The folk of the NHS.

© Copyright Rosemary Clarke

6 comments:

  1. Just read and enjoyed your short poem, it said it all really.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, that poem is brilliant! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good read. I thought the first was to be a script but it turned out fine regardless. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob asked me to send his regards and say that he enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Rosemary. You made my day. Miss Valentine (Sophie said hi)

    ReplyDelete