Followers

Thursday 2 April 2020

Death on the south bank


DEATH ON THE SOUTH BANK 

by Peter Woodgate
                                                              
An insignificant life on view
Amongst the laughter and the rain,
Just worthy of a glance, or two
To those, who stepped again and again
Over that ebbing entity.

I looked at the slender limbs and beak,
At widespread wings and pitiful eyes,
An ignominious frame, so weak
And gazing upward at the skies
A plea, I thought, for freedom.

With gentle hands I carried it
From that place devoid of dignity
And placed it at a site more apt
Where none but I could see
Its release from this cruel, cruel world.


©  Copywrite Peter Woodgate

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this Peter, and surprise it rhymes. Another excellent submission.
    Very well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a poignant poem. It doesn't mention the bird but, to me, it brings a seagull to mind. Every life is precious and the loss of it should be always be mourned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poem about the bird even though It conjured up unpleasant images and feelings of sadness. It touches you on an emotional level, as it should.
    Shelley.

    ReplyDelete