Followers

Monday 20 April 2020

Salad for tea.

Salad for tea.

by Shelley Miller

I wouldn't describe my husband as fat, nor would I describe him as fit. Put politely, he has a bit of a veranda over the toy shop like a lot of men his age, which bothers him but not me. "For health reasons, I'd say yes," I answer tentatively in response to his regular threat of, 
"l must lose half a stone and exercise more."

I wouldn't say he looked well-fed, just content.
So on average about 3 times a year he decides to put his dinner on a smaller plate thus making it look as if he has a generous portion. One time I couldn't help noticing that his dinner, dished by himself, sat half a foot high on his smaller sized plate and slid off the edge leaving a circle of mashed potatoes, peas and gravy on the tray.
At another time he would say "I might have a salad for dinner," So I prepare a healthy salad. By the time we sit down to eat he has added his own version of a 'healthy salad' to the smaller sized plate. Bread and butter, salad cream, mayonnaise, cheese, potatoes, olives and extra creamy coleslaw.

"I don't understand it, the only thing I eat is what I have here at home," he says, stepping despondently off the bathroom scales and sliding it back in place distractedly. “I have my porridge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and whatever you cook for dinner yet I've put on a pound!" He exclaims.
“It’s baffling," I offer by way of consolation.

I recall many a phone call from my husband from the Tesco Metro around the corner from his workplace. "I'm in Tesco's, do you need anything?" He would ask.
Once every 5 weeks, for 1 week, my husband uses my car for work. He is a tidy man by nature so has created a plastic bag bin in the front footwell. I'm sure you can guess of its contents.

I've often said it's the face that attracts you to a person but it's their heart and mind that you grow to love.

Copyright Shelley Miller


3 comments:

  1. Had to laugh at that line "
    he has a bit of a veranda over the toy shop" so many of us can relate :-))
    Another enjoyable read.
    Thank you Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovely lines in this, especially the last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typical you Shelley, don't know where you get your sayings but they "crack me up". your last sentence is so true and profound.
    I believe you have a lot of untapped creativity up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete