Followers

Friday 10 April 2020

Homage to Dame Vera Lynn


Our Vera

By Robert Kingston

I listened intently to all of her songs
Along with the story 
on how she was wronged
Our Vera had a rhyme scheme 
unique to herself
This troubled the hierarchy
Restricting her wealth
She sang of the spitfire
And of all our brave kin
She sang of the white cliffs
Of how we'd meet again
She challenged authority
convinced of her worth
She hit back like the gods
Were rattling the earth
She raised up high above
Where only angels know-how
Supporting our brave soldiers
In their darkest hour
She broke all records
For her period of time
I'm so glad our Vera had courage
to stay with her rhyme


© Copyright Robert Kingston
30.4.18




2 comments:

  1. A lovely Poem, made for our times. Hope you don't mind my additions a photo, and an Easter egg for all our readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem!
    I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places, that my heart and mind embraces" ( after lockdown is over of course).One of my favourite songs by Vera Lynn.

    ReplyDelete