Followers

Saturday 18 April 2020

ALL THAT GLITTERS


All that Glitters

By Richard Banks

Now, all that glitters is not gold,
An ancient wisdom often told.

Few folks do know who said it first,
Or 'bout the man whose life was cursed.

Read here his story, mark it well
And heed the warning that I tell.

For those who don't will wretched be,
Just like the ghost who came to me.

He stood before me in his shroud,
Though tongue-less, fleshless, spoke out loud.

Hear my confession mortal man,
Absolve me, cleanse me, if you can!

I am no priest I said to him,
I can but pray for those who sin.

So tell me truly of your blame,
What did you do that stained your name?

So much, he said, but mainly this,
I slayed a man for fair Phyllis.

Her hair did glitter in the sun,
Like thread of gold, my heart was won.

But she was wedded to the host
Of tavern called the Loyal Toast.

Her husband's love did not match mine,
When she saw this, she gave me sign.

That she and me could lovers be,
With all my heart I did agree.

All through that summer we did meet,
Our love much mingled with deceit.

At last, I bid her come with me
And from the village we would flee

To distant town where we're not known,
Like man and wife we’ll set-up home.

But what of money she did say,
You have no trade, just farming ways.

Just think how better it would be
If I a widow came to be.

I would inherit husband's wealth,
His home and living for myself.

Then we could marry sharing all
And happy live by legal rule.

Let not my husband bar the way,
For you could take his life away.

Take you this sword with cutting edge
And run him through, she made me pledge.

So, crazed with love I did the deed,
Of mortal sin I paid no heed.

To 'void suspicion Phyllis said,
Three months must pass before we wed.

And so I waited, us apart,
But very soon she broke my heart.

Rich merchant came and did her court,
Their fortunes joined I was as nought.

For love of Mammon she did wed,
With diamond ring so it was said.

And me guilt-stricken, full of woe,
From mortal life, I longed to go.

And so with sword that murder did,
The world about me I did rid.

From wicked deeds no one can hide,
For now my soul in hell resides.

You hear me kindly, mortal man,
For that I thank you all I can.

But dawn is near, I must return
To Satan's furnace where I burn.

Remember me, the tale I told,
That all that glitters is not gold.

Copyright Richard Banks



5 comments:

  1. Phyllis is due a visit to the burning furnace I think. Really enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I sense a touch of wordsworth in those couplets.
    Nicely penned Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shades of the lady of shallot. Very amusing & well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wish the worst for 'fair' Phyllis. Think she will join her cuckold in Hell sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete