Followers

Tuesday 14 April 2020

Two stories in Flash Fiction


A Question on Gardening



By Shelley Miller

I don't know if I look like I know what I'm doing, but I don't.
I know that some weeds look pretty but for all I don't know, they could be much-desired perennials. I'm a city girl come good; from a London flat to a seaside bungalow. I say ‘good’ because it feels good, pottering around in my humble garden.

The garden winces each time I approach with my hand shovel and matching fork and the evergreens cower as the jaws of my trusted sack-of-tears gape open.

A neighbour stopped to say hello once...in the good old days, as I threatened to tend to the flower bed on the front-drive. She asked me if I knew when the best time to dead-head the geraniums was. “I have to be honest," I said, "I don't know, I've never seen one before."  
"Oh", she replied, unenlightened, "you're standing in front of them."
I love nature, springs new growth all around for all to see, every shade of green, my favourite colour.

I'll get on with some weeding. I hope I don't look like I know what I'm doing because then the neighbours won't ask me any questions.

© Copyright S.C. Miller.



Midnight Concert.


By Shelley Miller

My husband likes 3 or 4 ales on a Friday night and occasionally I push the boat out and have 3 units of Stones Ginger Wine, just to keep him company. I noticed that on such nights as we lay down to sleep, my right ear gets a real treat. A midnight concert of what can only be described as sounding like a Punch and Judy show with a kazoo stuck firmly up my hubby’s nostril.

I never complain, normally, but last night I nudged him ever so deliberately, he jolted violently upright and asked where the fire was. "What fire?" I asked innocently. He settled back quickly enough and said no more. The concert ended when I fell asleep and the following morning nothing was mentioned. So you can imagine my surprise when he accused me of waking him up, not with a deliberate nudge in his side but with my snoring which he described as sounding like the Titanic's distress signal going off rapidly.
"Really!" I said "was that before or after the concert?"

I love an early morning breakfast with my husband, listening to the birds chirping happily in the small garden. It's always a real treat.

© Copyright S.C. Miller

4 comments:

  1. Never heard of the sack-of-tears, but I like it!
    I could almost picture Phil, except I know its just a story. It is isn't it? Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two stories, told from the heart and so easy to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob asked me to let you know he enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete