Followers

Wednesday 8 July 2020

Hope


Hope

(A Sonnet)

By Peter Woodgate

I walk the streets with sorrow in my heart,
black clouds descend and sadly we must part.
Chill rain beats down upon my angry head
echoing those words, “sorry but,” you said.
Why this dreadful change, what could I have done?
Thought we were forever, and lived as one.
My eyes fix now upon the pavement, grey
and dour reflections illustrate the day,
all darkened doorways lead to pending gloom
and muffled voices fill each lonely room.

Just when I think my world has ended here
the sun breaks through to throw upon the air
a wondrous arc of colour fills the sky,
and I no longer feel the need to die.


Copyright Peter Woodgate

7 comments:

  1. "I" appears to have gone walkabout from the start of the 6th line

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could say:

      Thought we were forever, living as one (?)

      Delete
  2. Ah you notices. I remove the 'I' because (with it) you had eleven syllables on that line & taking it out didn't seem to detract from the sentiment. Hope that was Okay! I know from experience how demanding the sonnet can be... Nice verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Len,you are correct I'd obviously mis-counted that line. I will employ you as my editor.
      Cheers mate.

      Delete
  3. Lovely sonnet Peter, with or without the 'I'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it as well and didn't even notice the 'I'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked it too and my eye noticed nothing amiss.

    ReplyDelete