Followers

Tuesday 21 July 2020

BAD ROOTS


BAD ROOTS


By Peter Woodgate

I spread it on the table,
My completed family tree
Tracing all my ancestors
From cavemen up to me.
My finger wandered over lines
that led to various names,
And next to some, in brackets bold,
were details of the crimes.
It appears that I’ve descended
From a really motley bunch,
Details of which I can’t disclose
When it comes down to the crunch.
Needless to say I have no blue
Running through my veins,
No explorers, inventors or warriors
Or other various fames.
Right at the start, or so it seems
My ancestors made gates,
Fashioned from wood and allowing in
Their families and mates.
Of course, apart from letting in
They were designed to keep some out,
It appears the good could not get in
And the bad could not get out.
So, I’ve been stuck with an iffy past
I can’t change what’s gone before,
The future though, that’s up to me
I’m a villain, say no more..

Copyright Peter Woodgate




2 comments: