Followers

Sunday 26 July 2020

BADGER (meles meles)


BADGER (meles meles)

By Peter Woodgate

Safe in my Sett
I await the passing
of the day’s discordant light.

The revealing darkness
beckons  me,
has my nostrils flaring.

Outside I hear the wild beast’s cry,
fierce and menacing,
hurled down from abstruse forms.


They know not the secrets of the forest,
but sway clumsily
within their self inflicted blindness.

They do not see the beauty
of a moonlit forest floor,
nor hear the swiftness
of the great owl’s powerful wings.

They do not smell the cool moist fungi
that thrust their eager heads
above the composted carpet,
or taste the scented breezes
that carry all knowledge of the world.

They do not feel
the gentle touch
of bough and bracken.

Is it because I sense these things
that the beasts persecute me?

Will they take my foraging grounds
leaving me a trespasser?


Will I survive
to be placed in a savage pit
fighting with bated breath?

ought I stay
a little longer in my Sett?

Even now I hear the earth collapse,
shutting off access
to the outside world.

Final darkness beckons now
as I turn to face
the burning gas.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

2 comments:

  1. Dark man! But maybe the new injection for bovine tuberculosis, will stop the licensed killing of harmless badgers.
    Not sure they would understand [abstruse], me neither...
    Clever Prose/poetry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your poem. I've only ever seen one Badger. We were walking back from two-tree Island. He was by the roadside, dead. It was upsetting.
    Shelley.

    ReplyDelete