Followers

Sunday 18 October 2020

THE CHALLENGE

 

THE CHALLENGE

Peter Woodgate 

It stands before me

A challenge to end all challenges.

Where do I begin?

How do I tackle the immense task ahead?

I see several openings

Each leading to a fresh challenge.

A steep slope spirals upward

And I glimpse yet other openings.

I see a well but my throat remains dry,

The task is daunting,

Energy sapping,

Soul destroying,

Time consuming

And costly.

 

I slump down and close my eyes

And let my mind wander.

I need to breakthrough

The walls of resistance,

Open the doors of expectancy,

Climb the stairway of fulfilment

In order to reach my goal.

 

I clear my mind

Of negative distractions

And see it framed

In all its glory.

Magnificent colours edged with white

Rising from the lush ground underneath

To a sumptuous sky

Where twinkling lights burst forth

From beautiful roses.

 

I sigh with satisfaction

The task complete

 

Then recognize the sound of heavy feet

A voice booms out and I hear it bawl

Wake up you’ve got to decorate the hall.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

1 comment:

  1. Nicely contrived, sent me completely in the wrong direction. But, that's a Woodgateism eh? Nice one Pete...

    ReplyDelete