Followers

Saturday 17 October 2020

Changes

 

Changes

by Rosemary Clarke

You cannot move, you have to stay
all the rest is bleak and grey.
You paint it up, you sand the doors
always knowing it isn't yours.
You cut the grass, spruce up the place,
for someone else to take your place.


You dare not love, you dare not feel
because you know it isn't real.
I'll never be happy, I'll never be free,
So life is really over for me.

My neighbour said 'Now don't lose heart’
and she is right, I'll make a start.
Paint the walls purple, doors in cream;
a lovely vibrant colour scheme.


Bleach the floors, the windows too
This place is really coming through!
Seems bigger now more room, more space
Yet nothings really left the place.


I've room to breathe and room to care
for the first time I feel 'I'm there'.
And all it took some paint, some soap
I've really acted quite the dope.
Believing all is bleak and then
with care, the place is alive again!

Copyright Rosemary Clarke

3 comments:

  1. Wow! a roller-coaster of activity, well depicted in your poem. The upbeat ending is just what we need! Thank you for that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem Rosemary. One of your best and written from the heart I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good poem Rosemary. As Len has indicated a real roller-coaster ride of emotions ending with a level ending. Good positive last stanza.

    ReplyDelete