Followers

Thursday 15 October 2020

Books I’ve Read No. 05

 

Books I’ve Read No. 5

By Len Morgan

I randomly picked up a book in Waterstones.  I let it fall open and started reading.  Five minutes later I was £8.99 poorer but the book was mine!

Natalie Goldberg – Wild Mind 

The small piece I read described perfectly how I feel about writing but haven’t been able to put into words.  This I will attempt to describe.

 

Her first chapter gave her rules for writing and, it seems, for life:-

 

  1. Keep your hand moving.
  2. Be Specific.
  3. Lose control.
  4. Don’t think.
  5. Secondary thoughts:
    • Forget about spelling, grammar & punctuation.
    • Write the worst junk in the world.
    • Go for the jugular.

 

 

From chapter two on, she has a section (short section) – called Try this:

Followed by simple exercises for would-be writers:

Try this:

Write for ten minutes on each of the following:-

  1. (a) I remember.  (b) I don’t remember.
  2. (a) I know.         (b) I don’t know.
  3. (a) Thinking of.   (b) Not thinking of.
  4. (a) I want.          (b) I don’t want.
  5. (a) I feel.            (b) I don’t feel

Warming up your mind, stretching your mind, opening up hidden places.

The rest of the book was not disappointing, it made me aware of ‘Monkey mind’  ‘The critical Mind’  &  ‘self-censorship’ that little voice in the back of your mind that says: You can't write that!  ~  Well, you can & will!

 I will say no more; don’t want to spoil the experience for you. 

If you like the idea I guarantee you won’t be disappointed. I highly recommend it.


Len Morgan

4 comments:

  1. I noticed you can also get it on Amazon...
    Kindle version £7.83, paperback £7.99; I was robbed of a £1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Len,sounds good.I think it is worth £1 to spend time browsing in Waterstones.So much more rewarding. Quite a treat to visit a bookshop these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the title and agree an expression of thoughts is the "way to go"
    There is a danger, however, that we write ostensibly for ourselves after all we don't always know what Joe Bloggs likes. I've just talked myself into another poem. let you have it soon Len.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about a glowing review -- one that whets the appetite! Thanks, I'll check this out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete