Followers

Saturday 13 June 2020

THE LETTER

THE LETTER (For those at home, alone, without modern technology)

By Peter Woodgate

It had landed on the mat,
in amongst the pleas from charities,
news that I had won a prize
and the bank informing me that they
had increased my credit max.
Another from the company
that supplied me with my energy,
was glowing red.

I’d scooped them up;

It had caught my eye,
the envelope with a proper stamp,
you know, the sort you lick with love,
although, I think this has been banned
in line with H & S.

My name and address, handwritten,
flowed through the ink, to illustrate,
that I was not,
just one more bit,
within this world of megabytes.

I’d held it close
and stroking it I’d thought,
“of all the people in this world,
I am unique,”
a letter that was just for me
and not a standard, dull copy
with adjustments to a word or two,
then, with emotion, scanned the stamp
that showed a kangaroo.

He had been sent across the world
with love from someone far from home,
I’d opened up that letter
and, no longer was alone.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Peter I seem to have given you a new name... The poem is very emotive/creative. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of my error, you may have lost some comments. Sorry again! Len

    ReplyDelete