Followers

Tuesday 23 June 2020

My Brother Killed A Bird


My Brother Killed A Bird


By Shelley Miller

You had to stop
And look to see,
Before he flew on by,
So free,
Towards that dense
And bushy tree,
Away from view,
From you and me.
You had to be
So very still,
Without a care,
Prepare to kill,
With just one shot
You plot to fill
The bird with lead
Until it bled.
One less bird
Is heard on high,
An empty place
In space, just sky.
And now I watch
You watch me cry.
My brother killed a bird,
It sounds absurd
But now I want to bury him.

Copyright Shelley Miller


6 comments:

  1. So now you can tell us who you intend to bury. The bird or your brother? a nice lilting poem well measured, finishing with that last menacing line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad little poem. I'd definitely bury my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd put money on it being your brother, albeit, maybe, a
    "throw-away" comment. I love the compact rhyming rhythm and ending. I remember the title and the ending but have you revised this from the original version, or am I going crazy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments.
    I haven't altered this poem since you looked at it Peter.
    It's based on true events from childhood. I wanted to bury them both.
    Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well, must be the lockdown, I love the poem anyway.
    You are becoming a very accomplished poet, well done Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice poem shelley. A little reminder of the idea of protecting the earth. Regards Sujata

    ReplyDelete