Followers

Wednesday 24 June 2020

FAITH


FAITH


By Peter Woodgate

One day God spoke to me
And I could clearly see
Not outwardly, but deep within my soul.
My transgressions were laid bare,
As if, for all to share,
And, confessing every sin, was now my goal.
Oh I had this strange belief,
Almighty God was real, my chief,
And all before my eyes, revealing Him.
So, I trod religious routes,
Wearing out so many boots,
On the path to rid myself of every sin.
But, each denomination entered
Had a schism, was self centered,
And I questioned why these factions should occur,
Surely He, who fashioned all,
Should have the final call
And faith, not for diversity, to stir.
Mankind, acutely flawed,
Cannot be guided or assured
By a god that seems imperfect, just like he,
It appears that God allows
So much pain on beaten brows
With death, destruction, grief, for all to see.
My blind faith has faded fast
And I fear it will not last
Yet conversely I see things that make me wonder,
The detailed structure and design
Of each creature down the line,
A rainbow, lightning, and almighty thunder.
I can’t believe it’s all by chance
That this Earth has learnt to dance
Our existence then is open to suggestions,
If it’s true, God is our maker,
And I should meet him at the crater,
I will beg the answers to so many questions. 

Copyright Peter Woodgate

2 comments:

  1. Peter, eloquently put. Your words reveal my thoughts foe all to see. How many have trod the same path, like you, like me. Coming to the same impass... Well conceived, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many questions, so many doubts, so many disappointments, so many reasons why I am a non-believer.
    Good poem, Peter

    ReplyDelete