Followers

Sunday 28 June 2020

Beaky


Beaky


By Sis Unsworth

Beaky was a blackbird, a courageous one at that,
the only one I ever knew, that could terrify my cat.
Beaky took on every cat in our vicinity,
in fact, the time I intervened, she even turned on me.
She seemed to snap out orders through her very active beak,
and we could not escape her, when solace we did seek.
Her divebomb skills did scare us when she was in full flight,
the only peace we ever had was, when she retired each night.
We had some friends stay over, they couldn’t believe their eyes,
as beaky marched across our shed, they heard her angry cries.
We found out she had young nearby and was causing a distraction.
As a mother I could understand, why she took such drastic action.
Beaky’s young did safely fledge, & peace did reign again
But, somehow I did miss her, It’s hard now to explain.
Once more the cats roamed freely, to catch or chase the birds
but Beaky was successful, none of them got hers.
Beaky never did return, but my memory is so clear
Whenever birds made panic calls, when a cat may get too near.
Yet still I wonder in the spring, when blackbirds make their nest,
If a descendent of old Beaky, will put us to the test!

Copyright Sis Unsworth

6 comments:

  1. Another little lyric from the "Pam Ayres" of Rayleigh. It seems the blackbirds in my garden are not so brave, "good on ya Beaky"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate, I think Beaky was here about two years ago, any other sightings? post here!
    Lovely story...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure it was a blackbird? Sounds more like a vulture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to your poems and especially enjoy poems about birds. My mum used to feed a Crow and also had a Blackbird who came very clo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Close to eating out out of her hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful poem, enjoyed it. Sujata

    ReplyDelete