Followers

Thursday 10 September 2020

STOUT THOUGHTS


STOUT THOUGHTS

By Peter Woodgate

The pint of Guinness stood upon the table
A creamy head complete with shamrock leaves
And I was looking forward to consuming
That liquid velvet sliding down with ease.

When I was halfway through my Irish nectar
I stopped to think, and pondered for a while
Had I enjoyed the half-consumed or would the half to come
Be relished more? This strange thought made me smile.

But what of life, when do the thoughts
Revert from front to back?
And all those dreams that once we had
Are simply things we lack.

This cunning cogitation would not leave me
And made me feel quite sad and somewhat blue
I then picked up the glass and drank the other half
Went to the bar and then drank quite a few.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

5 comments:

  1. Did I get your intention re Title? (Thought you may have had a brain storm). As always amusing and cognitive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Len, Guinness was classed as a Stout and if you drink too much it's how you end up. It tastes good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this Peter, shame I can't say the same about the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Guinness.But as I only usually have a half pint there is no need or time for cogitation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this poem too. I love the the way a poem can be conjured up doing the simplest thing like enjoying a pint ot two.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete