Followers

Saturday 5 September 2020

Alone


Alone


By Phillip Miller

Tick tock, tick tock and the sound of passing cars
Is all I hear, sitting quietly, staring at the stars.
So many fill the sky at night, shimmering like precious stone.
I wish I were a star tonight, so I wouldn’t be alone.
Or, maybe a blade of grass, surrounded by others, standing.
A busy airport then, where planes are always landing.
How about a cherry? I’d go well with a dry martini.
I know! A sarong, yes, that hugs a tight bikini.
Ah! a pair of socks, no good, one without the other.
All right, a canal with locks, or a twin with his brother.
Forget wars, woes, and suffering of man,
Nothing destroys him quicker than ever loneliness can.

© Phill Miller





3 comments:

  1. Very deep, and thought provoking. Worth a second read (and a third) and a ponder... Nice one Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, Phil. Sad and funny at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one Phil and despite the inclusion of humour it portrays
    a very poignant message. Because the final couplet delivers "the hit"
    I could suggest a slight amendment to the last line. to read, "nothing destroys him like loneliness can". Just feel it gives a sharper hit but up to you of course.

    ReplyDelete