Followers

Thursday 10 September 2020

Rob’s Lockdown


Rob’s Lockdown

Robert Kingston

What I did besides chores, DIY, reading a book (The man in the high castle by Philip K Dick of Blade Runner fame. A great sci-fi read if anyone is interested.  (Here to borrow) in lockdown.

Sculptures

A story on covid in three sculptures.
The sculptures are shown in reverse order of creation. None were drawn or given deep thought before they were started.

No 3 Journey's end
Sail photo


Simply named "journey" this piece represents how the direction of the virus, people and government change on a daily basis. Made of oak to represent the strength of resolve we the people of Britain portray...

No 2
Waffle
Photo

This to me represents our government's handling of the crisis. Given we are in unprecedented times, I believe things could be managed better. The shape represents all the waffle

Made of pine,

No 1


Bubble
Photo


The bubble was my first attempt at wood sculpting. Unless you class a branch picked up to walk with (later whittled) as a sculpture.

At the point of creation of we were still in lockdown I was getting few vibes for writing and picked up a piece of leftover oak from what is our stairs handrail,
At the same time conversations on a family WhatsApp chat had turned to what family members were doing and how some of the things related to what the elders did in their younger years. Changing direction with my mentioning a wood sculpture my sister created at school. Her sculpture sat on top of our electric cupboard in the family home but was sadly lost in my father's later move. Four times larger than mine and more oblong than round, I believe it was a catalyst for my piece.
The piece represented my own bubble at home at the time.

Dictionary

bubble

noun

1.

a thin sphere of liquid enclosing air or another gas.

"we'd shake up a piece of soap in a tin of warm water and blow bubbles"

2.

used to refer to a good or fortunate situation that is isolated from reality or unlikely to last.

Robert Kingston


5 comments:

  1. This was inspired Rob, Do you have carving tools or did you use knives & a drill (More remarkable). Thank you for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought these were amazing. Such talent, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed Rob reckon you ought to start up an Arts & Crafts.
    I'd buy the sail. I'd buy the bubble too for Jo (she supports West Ham)
    It mirrors somewhat their football fortunes (they never last) I like the reference to Covid's progress like Philip K Dick too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to hear what others have been doing during lockdown.How long does it take to make one of your sculptures Rob? I guess you make one over a period of time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sculptures are a work of art and wood is a great material to work with; natural and earthy. I like the idea of using the items you created to tell a story. My favourite one is the boat. A wooden bird would look nice.
    Shell.🐦

    ReplyDelete