Followers

Monday 3 August 2020

THE SWINGING SIXTIES


THE SWINGING SIXTIES         

                                   
                                    By Peter Woodgate
                             
                              Today:
I visited the scenes of my youth.
Paused, in the playground of my dreams and recalled,
The Swinging Sixties.

The magic of Motown the Beatles and Stones
The Mods wearing mohair the Rockers in jeans.
Kensington High, Carnaby Street, and
The Kings Road for clothes and shoes for your feet.
The fashion of Quant, the hair of Sassoon,
The “space race” was on who’d be first to the moon?
The “Beehive”, the Minis, both car and the skirt
The thin pointed shoes and button-down shirt.
The coffee all frothy the jukebox alight
You put in your money and danced through the night.
In sport, so it seems, we were on the way up
Euphoria struck when we won the World Cup.
I felt indestructible, was joyful, not sad
My thoughts were all good ignoring the bad.
For I had a future no one could destroy,
I’d grown into a man from that small timid boy.
Yes, there was turmoil, assassins and war
But life was for living, it wasn’t a chore.

And so as I travelled through life’s ups and downs
I remained optimistic with smiles and with frowns.

But as seasons pass quickly we tend to look back
And I’d wandered those streets seeking something I lack.

I’d sat on a seat, suspended by chain
And gently pushed back,...........................I was swinging again.

  Copyright Peter Woodgate         

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this poem, it perfectly describes what I know of the 60's. I was there abouts but too young to dress up for it.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is great Peter. My era seen through rose coloured specs. Has a swinging rhythm too.

    ReplyDelete