Followers

Friday 7 August 2020

SELFISH


SELFISH

by Rosemary Clarke

As long as I'm alright they can rape, torture and kill.
As long as I'm alright they can do what they will.
My family's safe, what do I care? As long as I'm alright it doesn't matter there.
As long as I'm alright I can simply watch the news.
Knowing I've paid my taxes, paid my dues.
I'm snug in my home, I know where the family are.
As long as I'm alright the world won't stretch that far.
As long as I'm alright I shouldn't make a fuss.
We've always been told it's them and us.
But what if the ones I loved were homeless or dead..
Would I start to realize and care instead?
What if they went missing, shut away in camps, lying far away in the cold and damp.
Their bodies cut and bleeding and wrenched with pain...could I say I'm alright, could I?  Ever again?
We are putty for the governors, let ourselves stand tall.
A world that unites truth and peace, will NEVER NEVER fall.

Copyright Rosemary Clarke


2 comments:

  1. Rousing sentiments Rosemarie. Nicely written...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual Rosemary, straight to bitter truth.

    ReplyDelete