Followers

Sunday 2 August 2020

THE BOATHOUSE WORDS Part 2 & Last


 THE BOATHOUSE WORDS Part 2 & Last              



By Richard Banks
                         
There is no logical, scientific explanation for what happened that night. It doesn’t help that Sara won’t talk about it and that Jack has no memory of what he did. But Danny does remember, and so do I. What we saw, we saw and what we saw happened. What follows now also happened. You can believe it or not, more fool you if you don’t.
         Sara dumps Jack and the moron hits the bottle even worse than before. He’s even drinking on the building site where he works. They’re going to fire him but he saves them the trouble by jumping off the sixteenth floor. Three months later Sara goes abroad to a finishing school in Switzerland. Where in Switzerland no one’s too sure and the rumour spreads that she’s somewhere closer to home having a baby that will be put up for adoption. And that’s just how it is except that when the baby is born Sara takes a shine to her black-eyed son and decides to keep him. To her mother’s horror, she arrives back home unannounced in the back of a taxi with little Michael demanding to be fed.
         “Who will want you now?” screams Mrs Eden, too near an open window not to be heard. Her plans to find a suitable husband for her daughter from among the local elite are at an end, but she’s wrong, a new family moves into the area and takes up residence in the Priory, the oldest and biggest house in a gated community outside of town. They are ‘old money’ with political and social connections that reach far beyond Fairmeadow. Within a year Sara marries the son of the house and disappears from sight behind the grey stone walls of her in-law’s house. Her new family have let it be known that they are private people, at home only to friends and relatives; they are seldom seen in public. 
         Little Michael is now five years old, a solitary child who can sometimes be seen at the window of his bedroom staring sullenly – some say with malevolence – at all those who venture by. They say if looks could kill he would, and maybe he has; birds fall lifeless from the sky and in the gardens of nearby houses the bodies of small creatures are often found. A guard dog dies on Priory Hill and on the road just past the house a pony stumbles and breaks a leg. The rider summons help on her mobile and another rider sets off from the farmhouse but gets no further than the first gated house before his mount drops lifeless to the ground. The news spreads like wildfire and makes the front page of the Herald. “What next?” people ask. What next is me?
         I’m out walking. On a warm August afternoon, I should be on my way to the shops in Halesbridge, but I’ve missed the bus and any thoughts I had of waiting for the next one have given way to the need to walk. Where I’m going I don’t know. Why? is another question I should be asking but I’m not, my brain doesn’t want to work that hard, in fact, it doesn’t want to work at all. I’m no more in control of myself than a twig floating down the centre of a stream.
         At last, I’m stopped, on the same white concrete road pictured only days before in the Herald. My head tilts upwards towards the house, sunshine in my eyes. I blink, blink again and through half shut eyes find myself staring at Michael staring down at me from a second floor window. He speaks the words, the boathouse words, the strange rushing words that swirl around me until my head and body is shaking with the force of them.
         A car’s coming towards me, the driver sounds his horn and then twice more as I stand witless in the middle of the road. He shouts at me, revs up his engine as though he means to run me down. Shock waves crash through my brain and collide with the words which falter and for a moment lose their grip. I’m back inside my own head. My thoughts are scrambled, like a bad dream, but something tells me I must run, that only in distance will I be safe. I head off helter-skelter, like a crazy person, blind to every danger save the one I’m running from. 
         The end of the concrete road is first base, after that there’s a tarmac road which after fifty yards bends sharp left but there’s only one direction I’m going and that’s straight ahead. There’s a footpath and I’m down it, a hedge either side and me in the middle. There’s a man coming towards me, there’s scarcely room to pass, we scrape shoulders but I’m still going, running faster than I have ever run before. The words are close behind almost upon me but as the path slopes downwards I run even faster and the words fall back. If I don’t slow I might, just might be free of them. In front of me, at the end of the path, is a country road. A car roars by right to left. I hear another one coming. I should be stopping but I can’t so I plunge across in front of a van that swerves past me horn blaring.
Ahead is another path, a track between two fields.  At the end are houses, red roofed new builds not yet sold.  I’m back in town running down the centre of deserted roads and then along those with lived in houses that gradually fill up with people and traffic. I’m nearly at the High Street. A car narrowly misses me and another slams on its brakes, screeching to a halt in front of me. I can’t stop and go sprawling across the bonnet. I sink down onto the tarmac, blood streaming from my face and arms. A man asks if I’m alright, wants to call an ambulance, but I tell him no, that I’m nearly home. I get back on the pavement, and minutes later I’m in the flat I share with Danny.

*****

         What happened after that I’m keeping to myself, but you won’t be surprised to know that we’re a long, long way from Fairmeadow. No one knows where we are and if we want to stay alive that’s the way it’s got to be. There’s dark days ahead and not just for us, but what can we do? Who’s gonna take any notice of us? Only when he gets stronger when the evil spreads and people see and hear it for themselves, will they know the horror of what is to come. Too late, by then it'll be too late.  
         Danny says I should write the whole thing down and put it in a bank vault only to be opened when we’re dead and buried. So, if you’re reading this, remember us in your prayers. Say one for yourself, you will need it. The abomination of desolation has just begun.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Document DC 127/18                                                                                     lodged by Delia Carr at the                                                                             National Bank,                                                                                                Kaloorlie 
                    Boulder,                                                                                    
                    Western Australia on 28/9/2018                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

         

2 comments:

  1. That's it shant sleep tonight, good story Richard. Love Western Australia didn't go near any boathouses though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't disapppoint. Good story. Like the phrase 'the abomination of desolation.'

    ReplyDelete