Followers

Monday 26 April 2021

THE CORONATION PENCIL CASE

 THE CORONATION PENCIL CASE

By Peter Woodgate 


To celebrate the coronation

Of our presently reigning queen

I received a pretty pencil case

It showed that very scene.

The gold coach and the horses

Came alive on that box of tin

And when opened up, a three-penny bit

Was waiting there within.

My immediate thought was that odd-shaped coin

And the sweets that I could now buy

The pencil case, a novelty,

Very soon it said goodbye.

As years rolled on I, often wondered,

Where that case might be

I regretted not keeping it somewhere safe

As now it’s antiquity.

But I have a feeling, we’ll meet again,

Only a dream then, until,

We find each other at the “order of the boot”

The case, at “a fair,” and I, at “the hill”.

Copyright Peter Woodgate

2 comments:

  1. Well Peter, all I got was a mug. Haven't a clue or a care where it went. Maybe if I'd had a pencil case it would be different? Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem Peter. I know the feeling, if I'd kept 50% of all the stuff I blithely threw away, then I might be a lot richer than I am.

    ReplyDelete