Followers

Friday 16 April 2021

Catching The Bus

 Catching The Bus

By Len Morgan


The number 20 takes me home to Hullbridge, or in the other direction it takes me to Rayleigh Town Center, Southend Hospital or to Southend-on-Sea: if I'm in a seaside frame of mind.

The buses run every 20 minutes unless of course, they cut one out!  The timings are 3 past the hour, 23 past and 18 minute too.

Invariably I get to the top of my road at 20 past and watch the 23 past, vanishing into the distance, (it came early).  When I try to outsmart it by arriving 10 minutes early, I wind up waiting 30 minutes (the buggers cut one out).

I used to drive everywhere unless it was a short trip in which case I would walk, I never used the buses.

 Then I retired and being environmentally aware I sold my car and applied for my bus pass.  I think I was entitled at age 60, but I didn't retire until I was 67, (nine years ago), well I didn't exactly retire, the Oil Refinery was put into administration so in a sense it retired me.  I went there as a temp for 3 months and wound up staying there for 7 years; they called me the super-temp!

At first, it was no hardship catching the bus.  On nice sunny days, I would wait at the stop, listening to mp3 books on my Walkman.   Then the weather changed, it became cold and wet and with buses being cut out I found running for a bus that arrived early was a desperate act of self-preservation!  If I missed it I would have to wait up to an hour.  I believe the drivers got to know me and took a sadistic pleasure in closing their doors and driving away, having watched me do the 100-yard dash in 10 seconds flat.  I'm not proud of the language I yelled; after buses as they disappeared into the distance... 

I caught cold after cold and felt quite miserable; in one desperate moment of weakness I even considered getting another car...  Then the sun returned, the service improved and I found that even if I did miss the bus I could spend twenty minutes in idle indulgence listening to music, chatting to the twerlies (waiting for the 18 minutes to 9 bus), or listen to my latest mp3 book.   

At least at 76, the bus is free: So, I did some costing's on my car and discovered to my horror that it cost me £9 a day (£275 a month) while just standing outside my door.  If I use it I would incur the additional cost of fuel and parking.  On a state pension, you could travel in style, and starve.  So, on balance, I'll be catching the bus. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Costings:

Car costing £10K depreciated over 5 years   ~   £2,000 pa

Road tax for a year                                    ~        176

Insurance Fully comprehensive                   ~        300

Tyres, Repairs/maint/cleaning materials etc ~        924

                                 Total annual expense  =  £3,400

 

 

2 comments:

  1. A good saving not having a car, (particularly during the last year when our cars have hardly left the driveway) when a bus route is nearby. We can call you Green Len.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree to a certain degree and when visiting Chelmsford I always used the bus. However it depends on where you are headed. some destinations have no direct link. I still need a car but you are correct about the costs, bleeds you dry.

    ReplyDelete