Followers

Monday 5 April 2021

Personal Well-being: 08

 Personal Well-being: 08 Music the mood changer.

   By Barefoot Medic

In my teens I recall being in buoyant mood one minute, only to be thrust into a sad melancholy mood the next, without any obvious cause.  Why?  I didn't realise then that it was a form of depression.

I recall times when depression hit me when all I wanted to do was curl up in the foetal position and sleep.  I learned at such times that music can be a powerful mood changer.

I play the guitar (badly) but know a few chords and can pick out or sing a tune that reflects that mood.  I learned that those sad songs could actually banish sadness.  So, Instead of falling asleep, I sing the blues and everything gets put into perspective.

The Germans have a word for it 'schadenfreude'; it means to delight in another person's misfortune.  Think of Charlie Chaplin, Norman Wisdom, and Mr Bean their failed antics caused uproarious laughter.  The worse their situation became the louder we laughed. 

The same is true of the blues singer, we listen to their sad tale and empathise with his/her plight and realise our condition is not so bad after all.  I find that singing sad words with feeling lightens my mood.  I can't say that singing happy tunes depresses me but why would I want them to?

Charlie Chaplin co-wrote a song that says it all (Smile):

Smile though your heart is aching

smile even though it's breaking

although a tear might be ever so near.

Just smile through your tears and sorrow

smile and maybe tomorrow

you'll find that life is still worthwhile

if you just smile.

I think that Charlie knew the secret of cheering people up.


Norman Wisdom wrote his signature tune (Don't laugh at me cause I'm a fool):

Don't laugh at me, cos I'm a fool.

I know it's true, that I'm a fool.

No one seems to care, I'd give the world to share

my life with someone who really loves me...

I see them all falling in love, but my luck star shines up above.

someday maybe, that star will shine on me.

Don't laugh at me, cos I'm a fool.

Norman also knew how to bring joy into the lives of others. 

If you are feeling down or depressed, sing or play a sad song and see how you react to it, what have you got to lose, (pills cost money), but 'schadenfreude'?

 


As always, you try my remedies at your own risk.  If in doubt consult a doctor.

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes Len, there is no doubt that laughter is good for you. The fact is that many people have there ups and downs. It used to be labelled as Manic Depression with a lot of comedians suffering from it. Now known as Bi-polar. The great Tony Hancock a prime example. I just hope this nasty virus doesn't send more of us down that road.

    ReplyDelete