Followers

Monday 7 December 2020

Teenage Lament


 Teenage Lament

by Rosemary Clarke

Here I am
All alone
Waiting by my telephone.
Wond'ring if
He is there
Does he even know or care?
Does he hear
Rants and screams
As he shatters all my dreams?
Wond'ring if
Set for life
Do I want to be his wife?
Will he want
Only me?
Guess I'll have to wait and see.
Put my hand
To his ring
Would that give me everything?
Have a flat
Then a car..
Will we really go that far?
Have a girl
Then a boy
Would that fill my heart with joy?
What if he's
Ringing now
That fat slag that's down The Plough!
How will I
Really know
When it comes, that final blow.
Telling me
That we're done
That he wants to have some fun.
Should I block
Him instead
Tell him I wish he was dead?
Here I wait
Phone in hand
Miserablist girl in all the land.
I won't try
To ring him..
I could go out with Paul or Jim.
Then he'll be
All forlorn
Wishing he was never born.
Making him
Stop his schemes
Lose the lady of his dreams.
I'll give him
Until 8
Then I'll say 'it's much too late!'
Could he be
Still at work?
Oh he really is a jerk!
What's this text?
What's it say?
He's remembered my birthday!
So we'll go
Out tonight
I knew our love would turn out right!

Copyright Rosemary Clark

5 comments:

  1. Very funny Rosie, I was totally with your character, all the way through. Fearing the worst, then I roared with delight when I read the last four lines... Immediately put me in mind of the Alan Sherman song:
    "Hello mother, hello father, here I am at, camp Granada.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0qYAjnl4g

    Con't know if it will play but if so... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will need to copy and paste it to gain access.

      Delete
  2. Rosemary, you never cease to amaze me! I loved this poem for its
    structure, rhythm, rhyme and humour. Reminds me of my daughter's behaviour 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really funny and really clever. Well done Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..most of us have been there. Do we learn? Hope so..but when love is blind and all that.❤

    ReplyDelete