Followers

Friday 11 December 2020

A CHRISTMAS WISH

 An Unexpected Meeting - A CHRISTMAS WISH

By Bob French


I could still feel the slap she gave me.  The heated anger and the hurt in her eyes that is engraved on my soul to this very day as she stormed out. It had been a stupid argument about nothing. That was last Christmas. Since then I had wandered the streets looking for her, but always returning home alone; my heart in purgatory.

It was two days before Christmas.  We always went to Liberties, and stood in front of their window.  Holding hands, admiring the window display provided by mannequins who portrayed the love and happiness of this time of the year.  But this year, they stood there, cold and unreal. My world was in turmoil.

Subconsciously I felt the wind getting colder on my face and realised, as I glanced around, that the light of day had grown darker and the array of neon lights seemed to be much brighter.  Snow had gently and silently fallen all around me. The joy of it lost on me, as my memory refused to accept the happiness of the season.

‘God, I missed her’ I said under my breath as a warm tear slipped down my cold cheek.  I stayed staring at the window for a while longer, hoping for a little salvation, but the cold and despair had eaten into my bones and my heart.  I turned away and walked home alone. 

Tomorrow would be Christmas Eve. Each year we would go shopping down the High Street and buy each other Christmas presents, then drop in at McGinty’s for a hot toddy, then as the neon lights started to come to life, we would slowly walk down to Liberties and stand and gaze at their window display and make our Christmas wish. 

I avoided the office Christmas party and left work early and made my way down to Liberties, hoping she would appear as if my only wish for Christmas had come true, but deep down I knew that Santa had me at the top of his naughty list.  I did not deserve her.

It was late when I turned away from the window, cold, rejected and forlorn.  As I passed a heap of cardboard boxes and dirty blankets, a pale hand extended from the shadows, begging for a few coins for a hot meal.  I felt my heart strings tug and knelt down and held out the bank note; my Christian duty fulfilled I thought.

As the hand took the note, I caught sight of a silver ring with a heart shaped ruby encrusted upon it.  My mind froze.  My heart started to pound and I leant forward and gently removed the dirty woolen bobble hat that hid a dirty face. 

Staring up at me through tired eyes was Jenny.  Time seemed to stand still as we both looked at each other.  All sins forgotten as we recognized the one person we loved more than anything else.  Without a word being spoken, we leant forward together and held each other, then broke down in tears.

          “Oh Mary, I’m so sorry” was all she said, then clung to me and sobbed. I gently lifted her to her feet and cradled her in my arms.

“Come Jenny, let’s go and stare into Liberties window and make our Christmas wish like we usually do.” 

I smiled at her and took her hand, knowing that my Christmas wishes had already come true.

(Christmas story 2 of 4)

Copyright Bob French

3 comments:

  1. A nice love story, written simply, and sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't realise until the very end that they were both women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bit confused, are parts 3 & 4 to follow or are they different stories?

    ReplyDelete