Followers

Sunday 6 December 2020

Playtime

 

Playtime 

(ode to a muse)

 

By Dawn Van Win

 

Here she comes skipping up the path

She loves to sing, she loves to laugh

The little girl who comes to play

Can brighten almost any day

 

Without a worry or a care

And rainbow smiles for all to share

As she finds the toys I’ve placed

To see that smile upon her face

 

But it is not always thus

Sometimes I fail to earn her trust

With long delays between our dates

And saddened by those fickle fates

Who pile up things both large and small

To keep us distant from it all

 

I try to pause and catch my breath

And notice feelings of neglect

Of that which is most pure and true

And filled with light of every hue

 

Returning to our sacred space

I’m hopeful that this child of Grace

Will once again deign to return

And from her I shall strive to learn

The lessons only she can teach

Which are not far, they are in reach

Inside of me when full of joy

We play together with our toys

  

Copyright Dawn Van Win

 

 


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem, Granddaughter I assume.
    Of course it could be a secret friend that visits during periods of loneliness, but I feel not in this case. I love the picture too.
    A ladybird and butterflies, I can hear observer's sighs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm Peter may be right but, I rather feel it's that fickle child 'inspiration' that you seek.
    Some days she comes and every word falls into place
    but when she doesn't you fall flat on your face.
    To try to force her is a hopeless case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think you are right Len. A subtle poem which can be read in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of when my daughter was playing on the beach. A lovely poem Dawn

    ReplyDelete