Followers

Tuesday 10 November 2020

THE SOLDIER


 

THE SOLDIER

Peter Woodgate 

Crouched in that small corner of Hell,

Amid the smoke the noise and smell,

And wondering if the next day would arrive.

I thought again of friends now gone,

And those to who death had yet to come,

Not knowing if in fact I was alive.

My head was full of thunder

And in my eyes the light

Of a thousand flashes glowed,

The soil beneath my feet boiled dry

Scorching earth, surrounding trees

Charred and bowed.

Time not to ponder then,

In that far and foreign glen

Thinking, can I ever show my face again,

For during combat long and fierce,

Many a man’s heart by bullets pierce

Yet, it is not my enemy I have slain.

 

         Copyright Peter Woodgate  First Published 1984

 

3 comments:

  1. Nice poem well thought out, hope you don't object to my addition...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another powerful war poem. Just one thing, in the 5th line shouldn't it be 'those to whom death had yet to come'?

    Also had he shot a friend by mistake, or have I got it all wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Janet whom is the correct word (it was a long time ago I wrote this)
    The real message of the poem is that "the soldier", from whatever nationality, is not the real enemy, they are just pawns in the games of power. The real enemies are those that create conflict.

    ReplyDelete