Followers

Sunday 28 March 2021

Uncle Bills Special Smile

 Uncle Bills Special Smile 

By Sis Unsworth


The days before the NHS, all those years ago,

it was difficult for many, that much we now know,

Dentists were expensive, not then used by the poor,

loose teeth or the toothache meant string tied to the door.

The open door was then slammed shut, the patients they would shout,

and hopefully offending teeth, with luck would be pulled out.

So, when the NHS was formed, it was a great relief,

No more would people suffer, with bad or loosened teeth

Many were quite desperate, and had all their teeth pulled out

“get yourself some false teeth,” you could hear them shout.

“Your teeth will all fall out sometime, and then where will you be?”

“The NHS may fail you know, so get them while they’re free,”

My uncle Bill did just that, and proudly walked about,

But every time he came back in, he always took them out.

A glass of water you would see, with uncles teeth inside.

But when he went down to the pub, he put them in with pride

I still can see in my mind's eye, although the years do pass

Uncle Billy’s new false teeth, smiling from the glass.

Copyright Sis Unsworth

3 comments:

  1. Nice observation on a Historic lifestyle. My dad did the same, he had them all pulled out then for half his life took out his railings (as he called them) and put them in water. Well written Sis. Did you notice you've posted 29 stories and are one of our most prolific authors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny and nicely captured as usual Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days Sis. One Christmas in particular. My Dad had had one too many and was sick in the toilet. Unfortunately his teeth were flushed away and he couldn't eat his turkey. One "not too merry" Christmas. It's strange that I remember all these things that far back yet can't remember what my wife tells me a mere 10 mins previously. The poem cheered me up though, thanks Sis.

    ReplyDelete