Followers

Monday 8 March 2021

Personal Well-being: 02

 

  Personal Well-being: 02 Lavender for burns & migraine 

  

  By Barefoot Medic


In 2000 my wife took a course in Anatomy, Physiology and Massage at our local technical college.  This involved learning about pure essential oils.  She was keen to learn as much as possible about the materials she was using, she related the following story to me:

 A scientist carelessly touched his hand on a hot Bunsen burner.  The only liquid immediately available was Lavender oil.  He poured it over the burn, which miraculously eased the pain.  Moreover, the skin didn't blister.

That's the story, you can believe it or not, but I will attest to the efficacy of Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) from personal experience.  I burned my hand on a soldering iron so, June applied the 'Essential Oil'.  It immediately salved the pain and there was no blistering.  In 2001 I purchased a small 10ml bottle of the essential oil of Lavender for £3, I have used it and I've recommended it to my friends for burns ever since.

I occasionally, (once or twice a year), experience a form of migraine that results in a dull ache and lights swimming across my eyes, obscuring my vision.  My only recourse is to go into a darkened room and try to sleep it off.

I'd heard that Lavender was recommended for headaches, so when I next had an attack I poured a little Lavender onto a tissue and held it to my nose for ten to fifteen minutes.  Incredibly the attack was over within the hour.  I have had several migraines since and it worked every time.

That small bottle is still two thirds full and still works as described after twenty years, its efficacy is undiminished.  I thought it was expensive at the time but I now think it was cheap considering the pain and discomfort it has alleviated.  Every First~Aid box should contain a small bottle of Lavender oil!

I'm told it's primarily used is for Burns and headaches but, paradoxically my wife can't stand the smell, it gives her a headache...

As always (with my barefoot remedies) they work for me but, you try them at your own risk.

2 comments:

  1. I love the smell of lavender but didnt know about the efficacy of lavender oil for burns and migraine. Very useful information and pleased to know that you have tried and tested it successfully Len.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Len I am a great believer in natural remedies and have taken Turmeric for joint pain with much success. I have not heard about lavender oil before but will be buying some because Jo is always burning herself when cooking. I will let you know the next time she tries to set herself alight.

    ReplyDelete