Followers

Monday 15 March 2021

Drifters Chapter 2b

 

Drifters Chapter 2b

This is the first answer to Richard Banks’s challenge (see 04/03/21) there will be others posting their chapter 2 to his chapter 1.  You must decide the best by voting…

By Peter Woodgate 


Who is this Aunt Lucy,? I think to myself as Cassandra leads me down a shady looking alley.

    No point in pursuing my inquisition, it was obvious that the answer, according to Cassandra, would be beyond my comprehension.

    We emerged from what was an uncomfortable walk through the alley, where, on two occasions, I was approached by “Ladies in Doorways.”

Cassandra, however, made sure that each approach was merely one of curiosity. I was relieved, however, when we finally emerged from the alley and turned left into what was an extremely busy street

    It was like one of those old black and white photos that showed the street amass with people, the men all wearing waistcoats and flat caps.

There was a mandatory horse and cart that thundered past us and even some young children chasing hoops zig zagging between adults that appeared oblivious to this youthful enthusiasm.

    “Not far now,” Cassandra grabbed my arm as we crossed the road avoiding the man with a red flag who was walking in front of the most amazing antique car that I had ever witnessed.

    “Come on,” Cassandra pulled me away from my moment of amazement before pushing me through an open doorway. Amazed as I was by the sight of that magnificent car, it was pale in comparison to what I now witnessed.

    On passing through the doorway we were confronted by a mirror, well I thought it was a mirror, but, after our reflections appeared to be scanned, they disappeared to be replaced by a neon sign which showed the following words:

 

Astronomical

Unit

Neutralizing

Time

Leaving

Uniformity

Controlling

Years

 

“Here we are,” Cassandra, still holding my hand, pulled me through the neon sign and into a wonderland of pulsating lights and soothing music.

My eyes and ears were bathed in a sensual extravaganza that oozed throughout my whole body.

    “Welcome to Aunt Lucy, George.” Cassandra smiled as she led me through to the reception area

 

 

   

2 comments:

  1. Peter, you stopped mid sentence in the reception area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have been a full stop after area. Rather short but left the rest to the expert time traveller.

      Delete