Followers

Thursday 25 March 2021

Pocket-Money

 Pocket-Money

By Len Morgan


"In my experience, ‘spending money’ is a habit. I didn't get pocket money until I was eleven."

"That was in the old days pop... How much did you get?"
"I got a shilling a week. I spent 6 pence on sweets, and saved the rest."

"So how much was a shilling?"
"There were 12 pence in a shilling, and twenty shillings in a pound. A shilling was the equivalent of 5 new pence. When decimalisation happened in Feb 1971; for ages we would convert the new 'Mickey Mouse Money' back into real money. So, 35p was 7 shillings (84 old pence), 240 old pence = 100 new pence. So, (35x240)/100 = 84. Pretty soon we could do the conversion in our heads. Then after a while, we stopped converting altogether."

"Never mind the History & maths pop, will you increase my pocket-money to £10 or not? All my friends get a tenner, £8 is a joke they laugh at me when I tell them what you give me."


"Well kiddo, that is more than I can afford, I was thinking of reducing it to £5..."


"You can't do that! I'm your Granddaughter, your responsibility, Dad gives me £10, Mum gives me £10..."

"Then you're getting more pocket money than I am. Grandma only gives me £25 and I give you £8 leaving me £17 a week, so In future, I'll give you £5..."

"Tosser! I need £10!"

"Show a little respect, you ungrateful wretch! Why don’t you ask your other Grandfather?"

"He won't give me any; he says I get too much already."

"He may have a point there. Keep on and you'll talk yourself out of a fiver."

"That's unreal…  Dad!  Daaad?”

“He left when you called me a tosser!  Shame comes to mind.  He got £1:50 a week from the age of ten, and he never once demanded more.  I think you need to brush up on your negotiating skills.  You just lost at least £8 a week; maybe more...

 

Copyright Len Morgan

3 comments:

  1. Great - that spoiled brat needed a cum-uppance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Surprised you didn't mention the half-penny and farthing I knew a boy who bought a kid for one each of those, or was it a film?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iy was a Film, 'A Kidd for two farthings'

      Delete