Followers

Friday 26 November 2021

The Day before Christmas Eve

 The Day before Christmas Eve

By Sis Unsworth

I always eat too much that day, I do the same each year,

far too much roast turkey, washed down with pints of beer.

I try to save the planet, I really don’t like waste,

But when it comes to whisky, I drink it for the taste.

“Have you ate all that pudding?” my old girl softly sighs,

When she turns and leaves the room, I start on the mince pies.

The shortbread never stands a chance, I just can’t call a halt,

You’ll never guess what I do then, I wash it down with port!

I always eat and drink so much, I have to work the next day

as no one else will do it, That’s all that I can say.

When I wake up next morning, I always feel so listless

I don’t think it would be so bad, if I wasn’t Father Christmas!!! 

 

Copyright Sis Unsworth

3 comments:

  1. Another Unsworth special... Keep em coming Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that poor old Santa is trying to save the planet. Don't blame him, wouldn't want to climb down all those horrible smoking chimneys.
    I noticed Sis, that you have used a half/rhyme on one of the rhyming couplets, says/pies. this is ok for certain types of poetry but because you have used "perfect" rhymes on all the other couplets, this one "jars" in the reading. I would suggest changing "always says" to maybe "softly sighs". This not only gives you a perfect rhyme but adds definition to "the old girl's" saying. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can of course forgive him as he is an essential worker anf needs to stoke up on food fuel before his long journey across the cold wintry skies with storm Arwen on the tail of his sleigh.

    ReplyDelete