Followers

Monday 22 November 2021

At the Crossroads

Crossroads 

By Len Morgan 


Why does he want me beside him in the middle of the night?

Snuggling close and warming me in the absence of the light.

During the day he does his own thing, never seeking to share,

Whistling and talking to himself as though I weren’t even there.

 

Come the night, he seeks me out as sure as night follows day

And as always I relent it seems the easiest way.

I cook and sew and plan and shop, watch TV if there’s time

I sit and think and have a drink and ponder that’s no crime!

 

Should we exist as in a play just acting out a mime

staying together passion spent existing, killing time?

Though all is gone we talk till dawn instead of counting cost

Should I stay or walk away to seek the magic we’ve lost…

3 comments:

  1. Yes Len, definitely a poem because, (A) the structure, 3 stanzas comprising 4 lines in each, (B) the use of rhyming couplets and (C) some of the lines written are not complete sentences. So Len, a poem that leaves the reader to make a guess as to who has written it. I would say it sounds like a wife's lament. However, it could, in this day and age, be written by a male. Maybe you can unravel the truth !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reviewing old journals, didn't even think I'd written any poetry in the 2001's but there it was; no idea where it came from except I never posted anybody else's work in those journals.

      Delete
  2. More food for thought. And my thought for what its worth is 'its never too late to walk away'

    ReplyDelete