Followers

Wednesday 24 November 2021

FORGET

 FORGET (Following the poem Remember by Christina Rossetti) 


By Peter Woodgate

Better by far you should forget and smile

Then that you should remember and be sad

For I have been a bastard, that’s the honest truth,

Now that you are rid of me, you should be glad.

But let me say, in my defense,

I loved you once, it’s true,

We laughed, as one, and sang in tune

Together, me and you.

I don’t know where it all went wrong,

When we fell out of love,

But we both know it’s over

When push becomes a shove.

Go find yourself another flame,

Forget that I exist,

Enjoy life whilst you still have time

Be held, be touched, be kissed.

And as for me, I won’t bemoan

The parting of our lives,

I won’t regret the absence,

The excuses and the lies.

Don’t listen to the gossip,

Don’t believe what you have heard,

I’m not depressed, in deep despair

Cos I’m with a younger bird.   

 

Copyright Peter Woodgate

2 comments:

  1. Okay me ole cock sparrer, I bet Rossetti didn't have that punch line...
    Enjoyed this one, it had narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha 🤣 very good and humorous.

    ReplyDelete