Followers

Saturday 5 June 2021

Just Dialogue

 Just Dialogue

By Len Morgan


"You're so gonna get it David!"
"Huh?"
"You know what I'm talking about..."
 "It never happened, don't know who it was, but it wasn't me!"
"You don't say."
"What proof is there woman?   Have you seen it?"
"Seen it, as on TV, on the news?   Was I standing next to you?   No, but you did it for sure."
"Then how do you know, where is your proof, you could never know unless..."
"Yes?"
"No, no, no, it's a lie."
"Why would she lie!"
"Why would she lie?   Shit.   It's my brain you’re messing with and I won't stand for it; not for another minute.   What did she say, what am I being accused of anyway?"
"You know very well David."
"I do not."
"Then you darn well should, for heaven's sake."
Whatever she said happened is a lie because it never happened.   I distinctly remember not doing anything anywhere at any time.   Listen to me woman I'm innocent!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes!   If I'd done something I should be ashamed of, that I didn't want you to find out about, I would definitely know it.   So, if I say nothing happened I am the world’s authority."
"I don't believe you."
"Jesus woman, get it into your big beautiful head that I have nothing to explain or apologize for.   My conscience is clear and I refuse to discuss this any further!   But, I'll allow you to have the last word if you just tell me what I'm being accused of.   Put me out of my misery please?"
"Now think very carefully before answering this.   Would you bet your life on your innocence?"
"Of course I would sweetheart."
"Katie says you stole three of her jelly babies a red, a yellow, and a green one.   You bit off their heads and swallowed them whole!"
"Katie?   Our granddaughter Katie?   Ugh!"
"Guilty as charged!   Send him down..."

The challenge was to tell a story with dialogue only; no description or narrative tags.   Does it read true?

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes it did read true Len. Both of the characters had a distinctive voice and the dialogue flowed nicely,
    It was also a clever little story BTW

    ReplyDelete