Followers

Wednesday 2 June 2021

A TRIBUTE

  A TRIBUTE

By Peter Woodgate 


This person I have never met

Nor ever will, he’s dead, and yet,

He leaves a legacy within my heart.

 

He painted pictures with his words,

Whilst reading them, they pierce like swords

To agitate the depths of my imagination.

 

Should I take heed of such advice?

It’s said he wasn’t very nice,

But who am I to judge a brilliant mind.

 

He sang of holy pebbled streams,

Of magic days within our dreams

And loss of innocence stolen by time.

 

He raged against the dying light,

Did not go gentle into that good night

Seeking solace in the bottom of a bottle.

 

Despite his anger at the world,

He left his works to be unfurled,

His troubled mind the reason he,

Would sing, in chains, just like the sea.

 

Copyright Peter Woodgate

6 comments:

  1. Ok! Stop muckin about, who is he? Tony Blair... Nicely written, but Philistine that I am, your clues fall on deaf ears. Van Gogh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Dylan Thomas, the poet. I structured this poem to mirror the layout of a villanelle as tribute to his famous one titled "do not go gentle into that good night". However, mine is not a villanelle as it lacks the strict rhyming sequence and repetition. It does, however contain the 6 stanzas and 19 lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prefer Dylan's song ~ 'It aint me babe'.

      Thanks for enlightening me dude...

      Delete
    2. Yea, I like Bob's song but prefer the Johnny Cash version.
      I don't remember what I was in for but remember Johnny singing it when he visited San Quinten. (it may have been a 6 month stretch for writing bad poetry)

      Delete
    3. Bad Poetry, Johnny Cash? He wrote one of the best Irish songs/poems...

      'THE FORTY SHADES OF GREEN'

      Delete
  3. I liked the poem and made me think..but got who it was when you got to having a rage against the dying light.

    ReplyDelete