Followers

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Memories forever.

 Memories forever.

Sujata Narang

I never knew I’d hold on to these memories forever.

Decades later, miles away, I never thought I would spell these days as the best ever.

As I look back, I think it was our magnificent getaway, anyways we didn’t want to participate in the concepts of business banking, or whatever as we'd already had a long day.

My brain was blocked; pages were already filled and I didn’t even have a decent pen.   

I found an abandoned pen refill on the floor; we shared it to copy the notes from the board.

Definitely it was a win! The meek dead refill saved us from the turbulent furious teacher when we didn’t even have a writing thing.

 

A few days later, one bright sunny day, we sneaked out of, yet another tedious financial engineering class swapped for some street shopping affair. 

Later that noon, we galloped down a big portion of junk, laden with spices and chillies.

And now we fancied a cup of Kesar milk, to quench the terrible dryness, as the burst of spices were getting uneasy to bear.  

I never knew, this was going to be a tale that I could tell forever, the day we were sweating like a pitcher filled with ice- cream, and carelessly using our laughing gear.

After we were filled with pleasure and food, we walked back in the lecture room, wrapping shameless pride.

The watch dog mistook us to be innocent ones, out of the bunch of blunt culprits bunking the lecture and strolling back in.

I never Knew it would be my most victorious disappearance from the classroom ever. 

We were discounted from yet another misery. Maybe the heavens were on our side.

I now know those glorious days will never return; the fun-filled days of my life.

The days back then were filled with careless chatter. The days I was doing my masters.

Those days when we had empty pockets, but every moment life was filled with love and laughter.

Nothing to worry, no bills to pay, nothing in particular that I was after.

I never knew I’d hold on and count those days as the best ever.

Recount and recall them forever and ever after.



Copyright Sujata Narang

9 comments:

  1. I kept your script because it seemed appropriate. I adjusted the bottom line slightly, the meaning is unchanged. Nice piece of pro's, well written... Look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Len, I would class this as poetry. It reminds me of a volume by the Late Great Poet Laureate Ted Hughes. It's called Birthday Letters written in the form of a diary for his wife, the tragic Sylvia Plath.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lenn for appreciating the work and the editing. I am glad it was okay to publish. I think I worry too much before I submit work.

      Delete
    3. thanks Peter for proof reading, I think you have went way to far in comparing this poem to the work of the great poet. Not sure if my work could be compared to his. But I am glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Sujata. As you get older you may have problems remembering the previous day but these memories will last forever. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I do agree that as we age memories tend to fade away and that's why I thought of penning it down. Thank you for your appreciation, means a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. I wrote a comment Sujata but it hasnt appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those days of girly fun are treasured forever.They re emerge from time to time to amuse and share throughout your life. Well captured Sujata.

    ReplyDelete