Followers

Saturday 13 February 2021

Brothers

 Brothers

By Jane Scoggins 


John was running late and it bothered him. He was a stickler for timekeeping, but today the public transport system had got the better of him. He knew his brother would not mind, as unlike him, Ray had never been a stickler for time, and would not be bothered in the slightest that he was running late. Hurrying along as quickly as his gammy knee would allow, John noticed, that despite nearing the end of September, gardens were still looking nice with geraniums, begonias and Japanese anemones still blooming brightly. He must remember to tell Ray. He had always been a keen gardener. Not so much John, who had preferred sitting in the garden amongst the flowers. His wife Moira had been the gardener in years past and he had mowed the lawn. Now they lived in a flat with a balcony, where Moira had adorned the small space very prettily with hanging baskets in the summer and a few pots of all-year-round greenery and spring bulbs

   John apologised to his brother for being late. Although he knew it was quite unnecessary, it made him feel better.

   ''Moira has gone to see her sister and will come by and pick me up afterwards, I don’t think she will be all that long. We want to have time for a bit of lunch in town before she goes to the hairdressers. Our neighbour is having a drinks party to celebrate her 75th birthday. She is a lovely woman. I probably told you that she lost her husband last year. They travelled the world together and she misses him a great deal. Now she doesn’t go further than Reading to visit her daughter and grandchildren. When she is away for a few days we feed her cat, a rather grumpy old moggy. They are devoted to each other and he probably rather resents us intruding into his territory. He actually scratched me yesterday. On a lighter note, West Ham beat Southampton 2-1. I know! Amazing isn’t it. I watched the game in the pub with Ronnie. We were like a couple of teenagers whooping it up with the lads in there. We had another pint to celebrate. Moira said I smelt like a brewery when I got home. On a sadder note, I read in the paper that Terry Bland has died. Haven't seen him for years but he was a real laugh wasn't he? Remember him at school that time when he mixed something in the science lab that caused an explosion and singed his hair really badly, making clouds of green smoke and an obnoxious smell that lingered for days. Its a wonder he wasn't expelled. He was a bright lad though and went on to university and ended up as something quite important in the computer industry. He married Susan Jeffrey Remember her from swimming club?  A real stunner, and with legs up to her armpits. She was a brainbox too and totally out of our league although you drooled over her like a puppy. I never told you did I, that I snogged her after the swimming gala one year. I reckon you would have punched me and not spoken to me for a week if you had known. Anyway, I redeemed myself by allowing you to pretend to be me when Jackie Flynn asked me if I wanted to go to the pictures. I knew you liked her too. We were so alike then that with a bit of tweaking and swapping of sweaters I don't suppose she noticed, and you said got to snog her in the dark in the back row of the cinema. We had a few laughs being twins growing up.

  Well, brother, I will have to go in a minute as I see Moira coming up the road. She's a bit slow these days but as bright and cheerful as she has always been these past 49 years. Can't believe we will be celebrating our Golden Anniversary next year. We are thinking of going on a cruise. Never done that before, so there will be lots to tell you when we get back. Here she comes up the path so I won't keep her waiting. Oh, I meant to tell you that the gardens are still blooming with geraniums, begonias and those tall pink Japanese anemones. Goodbye then old chap, see you again soon. Getting a bit stiff on this bench now so I will stand up and get going. Moira is waving at me from the gate. Looks like you will be having a bit more company today. I can see a hearse and a cortège approaching and about to come through the cemetery gates. I will wait a minute beside you to pay my respects as they progress. They must be going over the other side of the cemetery nearer the chapel. I can see the vicar now, he’s waiting over there beside a grave. May they, like you dear brother, rest here in peace. God bless you. I miss you”   

Copyright Jane Scoggins

 

4 comments:

  1. A lovely story, starting as a bud and opening like a rose, petal by petal slowly until in full bloom it reveals all... Well written; can't wait for your next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching. Brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading through I wondered why the conversation was "one way" so was not surprised by the ending, I was, however really surprised that West Ham had won! I enjoyed it Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Peter that was the curve ball.. not the ending but the West Ham win..ha ha

    ReplyDelete