Followers

Thursday 7 October 2021

THE GENIE IN THE BOTTLE.

 THE GENIE IN THE BOTTLE.

BY SIS UNSWORTH



.A Genie in a bottle, was washed up on the beech,

I managed to get hold of it as it was within my reach.

There was nobody else around, so I opened up the top,

a stream of coloured lights came out, l thought they would never stop.

I rubbed my eyes so gently to make sure I could see,

 and then behold a Genie was right in front of me.

He did seem rather friendly, so I asked him to sit down,

 then he obliged and sat there near me on the ground

He asked me many questions about the world today,

I said, 'that it was very nice and hoped that he would stay.

He looked surprised then asked me, 'If wars did still go on?

 As he thought they had stopped then he’d been away so long    

 The Genie just could not believe, that cars now filled the street,

and with friends you chat on mobile phones, so you didn't need to meet.

I told him that we now had planes, and man like birds could fly,

 of mortgages and interest rates and claiming PPI.

I suggested he moved in the Shade, as the sun could hurt his skin,

I said that with pollution the ozone layers thin.

And also to protect himself, by using sun cream lotion,

 and be careful of the plastic, now floating in the ocean.

But we did now have some great machines, to wash our clothes and dishes,


‘I thought if I said something good, he might grant me three wishes.'

We seemed to get on very well, so I thought I'd tell him more,

I tried to win him over, as we chatted on the shore,

I thought I had persuaded him, to stay here in this place,

but what I told him next took the smile right off his face.

When I told him the TV licence, for old folk was no longer free,

 he got back in the bottle, and rolled back in the sea.

 

Copyright Sis Unsworth

2 comments:

  1. As always a sting in the tail, but there is a moral here. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Sis, I know just how that Genie felt, another promise broken.

    ReplyDelete