Followers

Tuesday 13 July 2021

Personal Well-being ~12

Personal Well-being ~12 Sterile Fluid & Cough Suppression      By The Barefoot Medic 

I once read in a Survival pamphlet that if you are in need of a sterile liquid to clean a wound before applying a dressing.  At a pinch, there is no better, readily available, fluid than your own urine.  I later read the same thing in an SAS survival manual.  Have to confess I haven’t yet tried it myself but this corroboration gives me the confidence to try it when the need arises.

 

I was hoping my writing group would provide me with some tried and tested remedies of their own, but so far nothing…


As a child, I was told that honey & lemon was the preferred remedy for a persistent cough.  But, late one night, my dad replaced the lemon with vinegar, & honey with sugar.  I found this was actually more effective:

I put a teaspoonful of sugar in a glass, pour on a tablespoon full of vinegar and stir in two to three tablespoonfuls of hot water to taste; to stop the glass from cracking leave a spoon in the glass to leech off the heat.  Place it by your bedside and sip-it when you start to cough.  It’s important to sip it (not drink it).  But, it most definitely works…

                  As always you try it at your own risk, but it works for me.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Well I wont be trying the pee remedy unless I am completely desperate and out in the wilds somewhere without a tube of Germolene, but I do always have lemon, honey and hot water for a cold or cough. I will try the vinegar version.

    ReplyDelete