Followers

Monday 4 March 2024

Guardian Angel

Guardian Angel 

By Sis Unsworth

‘I would have liked a guardian angel,’ he heard the old man sigh,

‘I’ve never had much luck in life,’ he looked towards the sky,

I didn’t win the lottery, a race, or premium bond,

Or even bought that great big house, of which I’d been so fond,

I really had to work hard, no handouts there for me,

I couldn’t find a pot of gold, or shake the money tree,

If I’d had a guardian angel, what riches would be mine?

I’d be so very happy now, my life would be just fine.’

 

You didn’t hear the whisper or the murmur in the breeze?

‘But all your life I’ve been with you,’ the angel said with ease,

you never suffered illness or had to beg for more,

And who do you think protected you when you went off to war?

I thought you’d count your blessings when I helped you to this stage,

Others weren’t so lucky and never reached your age,

You’ve had a long and healthy life, but how little have you grown,

It’s now you’ll need me most of all ~ see how you cope alone.’

                                                   Copyright Sis Unsworth  

  

1 comment:

  1. One of your earlier poems (very deep), I loved it!

    ReplyDelete