Followers

Thursday 12 August 2021

Saving Life At Sea

 Saving Life At Sea 

Jane Scoggins


I am cold, tired, and terrified. My brain refuses to function. Salt tears mix with the briny water that splashes up against my face when the turning tide pulls and pushes the water underneath me.  I drift further out to sea with my arms around a half-inflated lilo. How did this happen to me?  I was lying on a lilo in the shallows, soaking up the sun and maneuvering myself around swimmers by paddling with my hands, and then what?  What with the sun, and quite a few celebratory cocktails for Susie's birthday, I must have nodded off.  When I came too I could not see the coastline and I didn’t know whether I was north, south, east, or west of the shore.  That was a long time ago.  I am completely disorientated and shivering uncontrollably, I tipped off the lilo when I woke and could not get back on.  I have a terrible headache and losing the will to keep trying to kick my legs. I am beginning to think nothing matters anymore.  I would be happy to just sink down down down to the bottom of the sea and become a mermaid.

I can hear a faint noise coming from far off.  Maybe it is the sound of mermaids singing, ready to welcome me to their beautiful world deep below. The sun has gone down and patches of mist are swirling around me.  I can feel the tide pulling and pushing as it changes direction.  I am helpless against its cold iron strength.  I am ready to let go of the lilo now.

The mermaids have come for me.  I am glad.  I sink below the swirling waters to meet them.  I can feel the strong arms of the mermen around.  I can smell their breath and feel soft seaweed against my face.  But then I can feel myself being raised up and lifted from the water, I hear men’s voices, I am cradled in yellow oil-skinned arms and laid upon the deck of a small boat rocking to the rhythm of the choppy waves. I open my eyes to see the darkening pink evening sky above me.  I am saved.

 

Copyright Jane Scoggins

3 comments:

  1. Well written, did they pump your chest to expel water? If it were real you would be coughing & spluttering. Not the best of dreams though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watch 'Saving lives at Sea' as well. The strength of the sea is very scary. I always try to gauge whether the tide is coming out or in when I go for a walk along the shoreline. Those coastguards are very brave.
    Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one Jane, a tribute to the wonderful lifeboat heroes, no doubt. However, my fascination was enhanced by the immediate thought of the last verse of T S Eliot's poem " The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock"
    The fate of poor Prufrock was not so good. One of my favourite poems.

    ReplyDelete