Followers

Saturday 14 August 2021

Copper in the wind

 171. Copper in the wind      

By Robert Kingston

I see him in his new form now

More spirited than before

Moving in the wind

Gliding and jumping

To heights not previously seen before.

 

His splendid shimmering coat

Beamed copper to the stars

Eyes cold black, glinting white

Where white would reflect

When startled in the beam of a headlight.

 

I am with heavy heart

As I take him lifeless in my arms

He really should be part of nature

Not lying in the road a casualty of

Someone’s careless harm.

 

Some would see him as vermin

Others a killer in the night

Not me, I see him as the once wily image

Sent by God to serve a purpose

In his magical kingdom

A creature of delight.

 

© Robert Kingston   15.4.15

 

4 comments:

  1. Nice poetic stanza's sensitively handled. Not sure what creature of nature it alludes to but, as such it is left to the readers imagination, in the Japanese tradition... Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read this with interest trying to match the creature with the various clues scattered within the poem. The only one I could come up with was a fox. However, I am lost with identification when reading the first stanza. Dead but still alive in dreams??

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Love the lines - 'his splendid shimmering coat beamed copper to the stars'

    ReplyDelete